Brothers and Sisters,
I’M JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND DOING CARTWHEELS! Well, the “cartwheels” part is a bit of exaggeration, LOL! However, some students in Tanzania will truly soon be jumping for joy!
For the benefit of newcomers, here’s a summary of this project, and the reason for my jubilation. The project had two goals:
1. To send a concert grand piano to Tumaini University Makumira (TUM) in Tanzania
2. To provide TUM $10,000 in scholarship funds.
Appeals to individuals, and churches have been ongoing since the initiation of the project in 2016, but here are key dates.
1. February 28, 2016: First fundraising concert for the piano took place at Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church, in Cary, NC.
2. February 28, 2017: Exactly one year later to the date, the piano cleared customs in Tanzania and a few weeks later it was uncrated at the University. It is the first concert grand piano at a university in all of East Africa! Tanzania alone is twice the size of the state of California. Can you imagine the entire west coast of the USA without a single concert grand piano? That was the situation in Tanzania…UNTIL 2017. See pictures of students and faculty playing it on the WHM website or FB page.
3. February 18, 2018: First fundraising concert for the scholarship fund took place at White Plains United Methodist Church, in Cary, NC
4. April 8, 2018: Second fundraising concert for the scholarship fund at Christ the King Lutheran Church, in Cary, NC.
5. December 26, 2018: WHM sent the last payment of $5,020 to TUM, for a total of $10,020!
$250 sponsors a student for an entire semester of study at Tumaini University Makumira in Tanzania. This covers all tuition, fees, and health insurance. $250/semester may not seem a lot to many of us, but to Tanzanians with an average income of $3/day, a university education is an inconceivable dream without outside support. This is truly life-transforming for them, their families and their communities.
To all of you who have helped us cross the finish line, we are truly grateful! If you wish to support this worthy cause, you still can! Any additional donations will will be sent to TUM later this year.
All gifts are tax deductible, and 100% of your gift goes towards the scholarship. Donations may be made through the WHM website, FB page, Paypal or check via mail, with “TUM” in the “Memo” line.
Thanks, and Peblejah!
Abe Cáceres, Ph.D., Director
World House Music
“World House Music, a 501(c)3 organization, shares the joy and hope of peacemaking across cultural and religious boundaries through the magic of music
the joy and hope of peacemaking across cultural and religious boundaries through the magic of music and dance.”