Brothers and Sisters,
For the benefit of newcomers, here’s a summary of the project. We have two goals:
- To send a concert grand piano to Tumaini University Makumira in Tanzania; and
- To provide $10,000 in scholarship funds.
- February 28, 2016: First fundraising concert for the piano took place at Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church, in Cary, NC.
- February 28, 2017: A year TO DATE, the piano cleared customs in Tanzania and a few weeks later it was uncrated at the university. It is the first concert grand piano at a university in all of East Africa! Pictures of students and faculty playing it are posted on the World House Music (WHM) website or Facebook (FB) page.
- February 18, 2018: First fundraising concert for the scholarship fund took place at White Plains United Methodist Church, in Cary.
- April 8, 2018: Fundraising concert for the scholarship fund at Christ the King Lutheran Church, in Cary.
Today, I rejoice because a gift from the memorial fund of my mentor, renowned pianist Prof. Frederick Marvin, brought us to the 90% mark for the Music for Tanzania Scholarship Fund.
We are less than $1,000 away from our $10K goal. $250 sponsors a student for an entire semester of study at Tumaini University Makumira in Tanzania. This covers all tuition, fees, and health insurance. This amount may not seem a lot to many of us, but to Tanzanians with an average income of $3/day, a university education is an inconceivable dream without outside support. This is truly life-transforming for them, their families and their communities.
If you can, please consider sponsoring a student for a semester, or making a contribution of any amount towards this dream. All gifts are tax deductible, and 100% of your gift goes towards the scholarship. Donations may be made through the WHM website, FB page, Paypal or mail.